PLC Supporting Member Weekly Update Feb. 3, 2023
In this Issue
PLC Legislative Breakfast March 2 – RSVP Now!
Logger’s Voice Winter Edition – Now Available!
PLC Annual Meeting May 4-5 – Book Rooms Now!
ALC Annual Meeting Oct. 3-6 – Book Rooms Now!
PLC Store – Many items for sale
Safety Resources – NEW HumpDay Video, Feedback!
Trucking – Latest news
Classified listings – Check them out!
Member Discounts – Many to choose from
Logging News – Latest headlines
PLC Legislative Breakfast March 2
RSVP now for the return of the PLC’s annual Legislative Breakfast, being held this year on the morning of March 2 at the Governor Hill Mansion in Augusta! This will the first time the event has been held since 2020 and you don’t want to miss this chance to meet your state Senators and Representatives, includng many new legislators who are unfamiliar with logging and the issues the industry faces. We want a great crowd for this event. See you at the breakfast!
Logger’s Voice Winter Edition Now Available!
The winter edition of The Logger’s Voice is now available!
Copies have been mailed out!
Save the Date and Reserve Rooms Now!
PLC Annual Meeting May 4-5 2023
It is not too early to start thinking about the 2023 PLC Annual Meeting and Log A Load Auction! The meeting will be held May 4-5 2023 at the Harborside Hotel in Bar Harbor. Rooms are already available to book so why not reserve a room now?
Group Code: MEPL050423
Steps to reserve a room at the Harborside Hotel:
- Click on Link (can also type in the group code)
- At the top of the web site modify the dates of your stay – 1 or 2 nights
- You will not be charged until the event and the resort fee will be waived
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
ALC Annual Meeting 2023 in Maine!
Reserve Rooms Now!
Save the Date for the 2023 American Loggers Council Conference and Membership Meeting at the Sunday River Resort in Newry, Maine October 3-6!
American Loggers Council President and long-time PLC Board Member Andy Irish and his wife Kathy look forward to hosting timber industry representatives for the peak “Leaf Peeping” season. More details will be coming soon!
For guests who would like to reserve a room online CLICK HERE
For guests who would like to call to book their reservation lease call 800-207-2365 and refer to Group Code 86B5IN
PLC Online Store
Looking for great PLC items and apparel? Gifts? First Aid packs, safety items and more? You will find them at the new PLC Online Store on our web site. Ordering is easy.
Reminder on Electronic Submission of OSHA Form 300A Data
OSHA is reminding employers to submit their 2022 OSHA Form 300A (Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses) data by March 2, 2023.
Who is required to submit Form 300A data?
- Establishments with 250 or more employees that are required to keep OSHA injury and illness records.
- Establishments with 20 to 249 employees in designated industries.
- Establishments under Federal OSHA jurisdiction can use the ITA Coverage Application to determine if they are required to electronically report their injury and illness information to OSHA. Establishments under State Plan jurisdiction should contact their State Plan.
How to submit Form 300A data:
As part of the Department of Labor’s IT modernization and security enhancement efforts, the Injury Tracking Application transitioned its login procedure to Login.gov — a secure sign-in service used by many government agencies. Current and new account holders need to create a Login.govaccount to submit their 2022 injury and illness data. Detailed guidance on how to carry out this change is available as a job aid and video.
If you have questions, visit the FAQs webpage. If the FAQs don’t address your questions, complete the Help Request Form located on the page. Thank you for your cooperation.
Office of Statistical Analysis
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
U.S. Department of Labor
NEW Featured HumpDay Safety Video – Feedback
NEW Featured Unsafe Zone Video – Dan Qualey: Battery Explosion
CPR/First Aid/Bloodborne Pathogens certification: Did you know your employees are required to have this training every two years? If your employees need this training in 2023, contact Jessica at Jessica@maineloggers.com or 207-688-8195 and the PLC will schedule training in your area. THIS TRAINING IS FREE TO MEMBERS!
Now FREE to Maine Loggers! A $300 value!
FMCSA has removed TMS ONE’s ELD ONE from the list of registered Electronic Logging Devices (ELDs)
On January 31, 2023, FMCSA removed the following device from the list of registered ELDs due to the company’s failure to meet the minimum requirements established in 49 CFR part 395, subpart B, appendix A.
ELD Name: ELD ONE
ELD Model number: OELD01
ELD Identifier: OWLA01
ELD Provider: TMS ONE
This device now appears on FMCSA’s Revoked Devices list.
On November 4, 2022, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse published information titled “Pre-employment Investigations for Drug and Alcohol Program Violations.” The Clearinghouse notice (re-posted below) is a reminder to certain employers regarding a change requirement that will go into effect January 6, 2023. Learn more
There’s been a steady decline in the paper industry that we’ve all had front row seats to for years now. The play “Death of a Salesman” doesn’t quite compare to the “Death of Print.”
Maine loggers say the lack of frozen soil means they have to delay projects. Climate scientists say the forests could change forever.
The Maine Department of Environmental Protection is making 10 hours of new online video trainings in various topics available for both certification credits and simply for interest. Anyone can view the videos for free, although a fee would apply for applying certification credit. CEOs can obtain credits and view any of these online training videos for free https://www.maine.gov/dep/
Labor laws and safety requirements can seem complex – join the Maine Department of Labor for no-cost upcoming safety trainings and Wage and Hour Compliance classes!
- Monitoring and Evaluating for Air and Noise Hazards: February 1, 2023 from 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the SafetyWorks! Training Institute, 45 Commerce Drive, Augusta
- If you are new to industrial hygiene, this beginner course explains the terminology, explores the equipment, and dives into the standards to ensure the health of your employees.
- Public Sector Compliance: February 7, 2023 from 6-8 p.m. – Virtual
- This assistance program is for state, county, municipal and quasi-municipal employers, managers, and employees. It is an overview of public-sector employer responsibilities including injury/fatality reporting, written programs, training, equipment/facility inspections, and recordkeeping.
- Mine Safety and Health Administration – Refresher: February 14, 2023 from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. at the SafetyWorks! Training Institute, 45 Commerce Drive, Augusta
- The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) requires all surface mining (ex. Stone crushing, gravel pit, etc.) employees to receive an eight-hour annual training. This one-day course will cover generic MSHA training. However, site-specific training will also need to be conducted once you return to your respective job sites.
- Wage & Hour Compliance Assistance: February 15, 2023 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. at Northern Maine Community College, 33 Edgemont Drive Presque Isle, in the Keegan Room
- This course is designed for human resource or benefits professionals, accountants, business owners, managers, or payroll supervisors. It will cover wage and hour laws, including minimum wage, overtime, youth employment, severance pay, equal pay, rest breaks, and paid or unpaid leave requirements. It will also address commonly asked labor-related questions.
- Respiratory Protection: February 23, 2023 from 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the SafetyWorks! Training Institute, 45 Commerce Drive, Augusta
- Where workers are required to wear respirators to do their jobs, employers need a respiratory protection program. This course helps you determine your respiratory protection needs and covers all the elements of a written respiratory protection program.
- Improving Your Safety Training Program: February 28, 2023 from 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the SafetyWorks! Training Institute, 45 Commerce Drive, Augusta
- An effective safety training program will lead to positive effects on safety knowledge and the adoption of safe work practices and behaviors. This one-day training assists safety professionals and safety committees learn how to analyze their audience, update on new training techniques, and develop top notch training programs.
Register and browse more classes here: https://www.safetyworksmaine.gov/training/scheduled_classes/register.shtml
The Thermal Energy Investment Program (TEIP) provides financial incentives to businesses, municipalities, educational institutions, and nonprofit entities located in the state of Maine for the installation of new thermal energy derived projects. A thermal energy derived project is defined as; a project that produces thermal energy and thermal renewable energy credits including but not limited to, (1) conversion of fossil fuel-fired boilers to wood-fueled boilers or boilers using biofuels derived from wood, and (2) installation of new wood-fueled boilers or boilers using biofuels derived from wood. TEIP requires program participants to substantially share in the cost of projects. To learn more and for documents including teh pre-approval application CLICK HERE.
TRUCKING DISCOUNTS THROUGH THE ALC!
PLC Members, because the PLC is a member of the American Loggers Council YOU are entitled to special discounts on truck purchases! Click on the brand names below to learn more!
Fabian Oil Discount
Traction Heavy Duty Special
Maine Trailer Discounts
PLC Members get a 5% discount on culverts purchased at Treeline and Frank Martin & Sons
Hale Trailer discounts for PLC Members on new trailer purchases! Call Neal at 207-232-7969 for details!
Cross Arena Discounts for PLC!
Check out the equipment and job opportunities our members have listed at the LOGGING ZONE! If you have equipment for sale, are looking to buy, are looking for employees, or
Preferred Supporting Members
Enhanced Supporting Members