PLC Supporting Member Weekly Update June 30, 2023
In this Issue
The Logger’s Voice Summer 2023 – Now Available!
Log A Load Golf Tournaments – Register and Sponsor Now!
Supporting Member Renewals – Deadline July 1!
Mechanized Logging Operations and Forest Trucking Program – Seeking intructors
ALC Annual Meeting Oct. 3-6 – Book Rooms Now!
PLC Store – Many items for sale
Safety Resources – Safety First!
Trucking – Latest news
Classified listings – Check them out!
Member Discounts – Many to choose from
Logging News – Latest headlines
Log A Load Golf Tournaments 2023
Register and Sponsor Now!
It is time to register for the 2023 Log A Load for Maine Kids Golf Tournaments! This year, the tournaments will be held Aug. 25 in Lovell and Sept. 15 in Lincoln. Register now to help Maine kids and have a blast doing it. Links for registration and sponsorship opportunities are below. See you at the tournaments!
If you prefer to register by mail, print and fill out the registration form on the pdfs below:
*Seeking raffle and auction prizes LEARN MORE
Please Renew Your Supporting Membership for 2023-2024!
Greetings and best wishes from the Professional Logging Contractors of Maine (PLC).
July 1st is TOMORROW, and it is that time of year to renew your Supporting Membership with the PLC if you have not already. The work of the PLC is even more important now that inflation and challenging low grade wood markets are impacting the bottom line of every harvesting and hauling contractor in Maine.
By now you should have received the 2023-24 PLC Supporting Membership renewal packet in the mail. Membership with the PLC is from July 1, 2023, to June 30, 2024. Please return page three of the membership renewal by July 1st, 2023, to remain Supporting Member in good standing. You may also fill out a renewal application online by clicking the button below.
The benefits of Supporting Membership continue to grow each year and increase with Enhanced and Preferred membership levels. Review the full benefits and membership options HERE.
Your continued support of the PLC means so much to this industry and our organization. Without your support, the PLC could not advocate for our membership, especially in times like this.
PLC members truly value their relationship with your company by purchasing your products and services on a consistent basis.
Please renew your partnership with the PLC for 2023-2024. Together, we can ensure a sustainable and thriving logging industry for years to come.
MLOFT Program Seeks Instructors!
The PLC’s Mechanized Logging Operations and Forest Trucking Program, (MLOFT) an expanded version of our highly successful logging operations certificate program that will now include Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) training, is still actively recruiting instructors for the 2023 class. Instructors are needed from July 10-October 20.
The program is seeking center mount, feller buncher, crane, and mechanic operators for these positions. Each instructor will be hired for 15 weeks total (60 hours a week for 10 weeks, 40 hours a week for 5 weeks.) The pay rate is $23 an hour. Pickup provided to get to and from the job site. For instructors not living in the Old Town area, room and board will be provided.
These positions are a great short-term opportunity for employees that might be impacted by reduced harvesting operations for the summer but could come back to their company in the fall, or for recently retired operators looking to share their knowledge with the next generation.
If you or anyone you know is interested in this opportunity, contact Donald Burr immediately at 207-356-1541 or email@example.com to learn more!
ALC Annual Meeting 2023 in Maine!
Reserve Rooms Now!
Save the Date for the 2023 American Loggers Council Conference and Membership Meeting at the Sunday River Resort in Newry, Maine October 3-6!
American Loggers Council President and long-time PLC Board Member Andy Irish and his wife Kathy look forward to hosting timber industry representatives for the peak “Leaf Peeping” season. More details will be coming soon!
For guests who would like to reserve a room online CLICK HERE
For guests who would like to call to book their reservation lease call 800-207-2365 and refer to Group Code 86B5IN
PLC Online Store
Looking for great PLC items and apparel? Gifts? First Aid packs, safety items and more? You will find them at the new PLC Online Store on our web site. Ordering is easy.
Workplace safety requirements can seem complex – join the Maine Department of Labor for no-cost upcoming safety trainings!
- Video Display Terminal Train-the-Trainer: July 18, 2023 from 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at the SafetyWorks! Training Institute, 45 Commerce Drive, Augusta
- Maine’s Video Display Terminal (VDT) law requires employers to train VDT operators how to work safely at the computer. This class prepares trainers, supervisors, and safety-team members to recognize and eliminate the hazards to which VDT operators are exposed.
- Ladder Safety: July 19, 2023 from 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at the SafetyWorks! Training Institute, 45 Commerce Drive, Augusta
- Ladders are a major source of injuries and fatalities in the workplace. However, falls can be reduced if people use caution when climbing ladders or when working in places where falls are a potential hazard. This half-day course will demonstrate how falls from ladders can be prevented through education which includes planning for their use, ladder inspection, and using basic ladder safeguards.
- Impairment Detection Training for Employers: July 20, 2023 from 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. at the Rockland CareerCenter, 91 Camden Street, Suite 201, Rockland
- This one-day training session is designed to help owners, managers, and supervisors recognize and respond appropriately to employee-impairment in the workplace in order to reduce worker accidents and injuries. Participants will be taught procedures to detect impairment regardless of the substance or cause. This class is designed to fulfill the federal DOT requirements for reasonable suspicion training of supervisors. In addition, participants will learn how to develop and implement policies that address impairment in the workplace and are in compliance with Maine’s Substance Use Testing Law.
- Silica Awareness: July 20, 2023 from 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at the SafetyWorks! Training Institute, 45 Commerce Drive, Augusta
- Exposure to silica dust is common and dangerous that OSHA has strengthened the rules. Learn about the health hazards of silica, the OSHA regulations, and how to protect workers from overexposure.
- OSHA Recordkeeping: July 26, 2023 from 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. at the University of Maine Presque Isle, Folsom Hall, Room 203
- This class provides thorough and comprehensive six-hour training for both new and experienced safety and human resources personnel. You will learn the OSHA rule (29 CFR 1904) regarding recording and reporting work-related injuries and illnesses as it applies to your organization, including COVID-19 recordability guidance. This class includes several hands-on activities on how to correctly fill out the required injury reporting forms. An additional 30 to 45 minutes will be available for businesses providing healthcare services or healthcare support services who are required by 1910.502(q) to keep a supplemental Covid-19 illness log.
Register and browse more classes here: https://www.
safetyworksmaine.gov/training/ scheduled_classes/register. shtml
CPR/First Aid/Bloodborne Pathogens certification: Did you know your employees are required to have this training every two years? If your employees need this training in 2023, contact Jessica at Jessica@maineloggers.com or 207-688-8195 and the PLC will schedule training in your area. THIS TRAINING IS FREE TO MEMBERS!
Now FREE to Maine Loggers! A $300 value!
U.S. Department of Transportation sent this bulletin at 05/02/2023 08:53 AM EDT
On May 2, 2023, the Department of Transportation (DOT) published a final rule that, among other items, authorizes employers to use oral fluid drug testing as an alternative testing methodology to urine drug testing. The final rule also:
- harmonizes with pertinent section of the HHS oral fluid Mandatory Guidelines,
- clarifies certain Part 40 provisions that cover urine drug testing procedures,
- removes provisions that are no longer necessary,
- adds eight new definitions, clarifying language to definitions and web links, and
- updates provisions to address issues that have risen in recent years.
To learn more about this final rule, view the rule at https://www.transportation.gov/odapc/frpubs.
The Forest Service shared news about the fiscal year 2023 Forest Legacy investments earlier today at an event in Rangeley, Maine where Governor Janet Mills, and partners including The Nature Conservancy and Trust for Public Land, celebrated the completion of the Quill Hill to Perham project — a nearly 14,000-acre Forest Legacy program project that supports wildlife habitat, recreation and contributes $6 million to the local sustainable timber economy.
TRUCKING DISCOUNTS THROUGH THE ALC!
PLC Members, because the PLC is a member of the American Loggers Council YOU are entitled to special discounts on truck purchases! Click on the brand names below to learn more!
Fabian Oil Discount
Traction Heavy Duty Special
Maine Trailer Discounts
PLC Members get a 5% discount on culverts purchased at Treeline and Frank Martin & Sons
Hale Trailer discounts for PLC Members on new trailer purchases! Call Neal at 207-232-7969 for details!
Cross Arena Discounts for PLC!
Check out the equipment and job opportunities our members have listed at the LOGGING ZONE! If you have equipment for sale, are looking to buy, are looking for employees, or
Preferred Supporting Members
Enhanced Supporting Members